When it comes to owning a dog, I'm constantly reminded that you have to expect the unexpect...and it will usually happen at the worst possible moment. On our morning hike, we decided to forego the backpack. We were only going to be gone an hour at most. I grabbed the water, Erik grabbed the treats, poop bags and Lily and we were off!
Twenty minutes in, we noticed Lily limping along beside us. She never complains so we have to really keep an eye on her. We watched her for a few steps to determine which leg. Lifting her paw, she had a sticker in it. No problem! Pluck it out and on we go.
We wanted to extend the hike so we headed through a park. While we were walking across the grass, Lily got ahold of a bee. Before either of us could do anything, she had it in her mouth. Being allergic to bees, there was nothing I could do to help her. My husband reached in her mouth and she let him take the bee out. He couldn't find the stinger.
So much for extending the walk.
Lily is a product of bad breeding - her allergies are beyond what is typical of her breed. This made me panic right away. We're at least thirty minutes from the car. I have water, but it isn't cold enough to take down any swelling. I wanted to run for the car while my husband waited with Lily, but he wouldn't let me.
Instead, we sat and waited. I put my best friend on alert via text just to be safe. We sat in the park and watched for any reaction - shortness of breath, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse. After half an hour, she didn't seem any worse for the sting. No swelling of her tongue or the roof of her mouth. Relieved we headed back to the car.
For more information on treating bee and wasp stings in your pet, click here.
Do you think we'll be hiking again without our backpack (which includes our first aid kit)?